Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Seriously????

I must have a sign on my belly that says, "Please..stop and give me advice. I REALLY REALLY value your opinion as a stranger in my life." Why is it that when you're pregnant, people feel the need to say things they would NEVER say to you otherwise? What's even sadder is that they don't have to be strangers. When I was about 8 weeks, I told Jason, "Man! I'm getting a little tummy." Jason's response..you ready? "Yeah and your hips are getting big too!" Seriously? A lady at work asked me one day how far along I was. I told her that I was about 9 weeks. "Wow!" she said as she began rubbing my belly. "You shouldn't be THAT BIG at 9 weeks!" Again, I ask, SERIOUSLY???

And then there's my family who so graciously pointed out some things that I should give up for the next nine months. Caffeine, sweets, stress...oh wait, that would have been too obvious. Apparently, I don't need to go tubing (as in..on the lake..in a tube) anymore. I'm sure glad they told me! I was planning on busting out the bikini and hitting the freezing lake this weekend. Oh..there is good news! My mom didn't know that alcohol and pregnancy don't mix. That's good I guess. I can always kick one back if it all gets to be too much.

So, when you talk to me or see new pictures posted, please refrain from telling me how fat I am, how many bad habits I should break (sorry folks, not giving up the caffeine!), how breastfeeding isn't fair to my husband, why I should let the baby sleep with me (not happening!), why I shouldn't give the baby a pacifier (ha! Baby's getting the stinkin' pacifer!!!), or why a home birth is better. Instead, just pray for patience until this first trimester is over!

(ok, ok, you must know that I'm joking..kinda!)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Here's my advice....do what feels right for you and YOUR baby! That's it! People get so stinking crazy when they see a pregnant person, like because she's pregnant, she must be stupid so I'd better tell her what she should and shouldn't do, poor stupid pregnant girl! It only gets worse too, Cheryl and I discussed this because towards the end, random people will start to ask you if you've dialated---do I ask you about your last "exam." Seriously???? =)

Unknown said...

Btw....I would LOVE to take belly pics if you are a belly pic person!!! =)

Kris-Amy said...

Later it'll be advice on how to put the baby to sleep, when the baby should sleep, how the baby should sleep (on its back, on its stomach, with a blanket, no blanket), to use a paci or not, which type of bottle to use...there are, I'm convinced, militant mommy-cults whose members are disguised among us ready to pounce the second we do something that goes against their Mothers Promoting Unwanted Advice Group. Some of my favorites: "I'm surprised that baby doesn't have chills from not wearing socks!" "You don't feel bad about not being able to put your baby to sleep on the nights you have to go tutor? I'd sacrifice just about anything to be home with MY baby!" "No, I don't use that type of bottle, I don't want to gtive my baby toxins." It's truly a wonder my children are both alive, healthy, beautiful, genious children! :-)

Cheryl said...

yes, just brace yourself now, and keep that wonderful sense of humor that you have....otherwise, you will want to (and may actually) bop several people over the head in the next 7 months!!! =) and, you better believe that i am gonna be the first to ask you when you are 34 weeks if you are dialated any, if you've lost your mucous plug, and if you are having a vaginal delivery or a c-section!! =) (by the way, your body and baby are now yours no longer...they're the rest of the world's so let them have free will to ask and tell you whatever they want!)

PS. One of the best things I heard someone tell Amy about Kristyn was, "Oh, your mom and dad don't know how to comb your hair..." (Keep in mind the baby was only like a month old and had hardly any hair!!!)

Kris-Amy said...

Oh yeah, that's because it's much easier to get at parents by making snide little cutting remarks about the kids. Remember when somebody said to me, "your son sure is active... ." I responded with a loving attitude and sweet voice that not every child can be a dull doormat. Wait, maybe I just thought it to myself...